Tuesday 21 June 2016

"Purls" of Wisdom

So today I'm going to share the first in an ongoing series of posts I like to think of as "Purls" of Wisdom.

See what I did there?



It is safe to say that Izzy loves bones more than anything else in the World.  At some point every day she approaches us in what we immediately recognize as her  "Can I have another one?" pose.  It is a unique combination of adorable, pathetic, hopeful and excited that can only be interpreted one way.  She wants a bone.  It is subtly different from the "I want to go out" pose but similar in tone to the "I see a squirrel in the backyard" pose.

A long time ago, I recognized this quality in myself.  I'm  a girl who needs a lot of approval.  I want to be appreciated and rewarded for the things that I do.  Like Izzy, I would be thrilled if someone gave me a bone every day.

If every knitting pattern I design rocketed to the top of the Ravelry listings.

If my husband raved about every meal I cooked.

If my son told me I was the best Mom in the World.  Better yet, texted me that message every day.  Let's be realistic.

But.  Izzy does not get a bone every day.  Similarly, everything I do is not met with universal approval and love.  But here's the thing I learned from my dog.  Sometimes it happens.  And sometimes is enough to warrant ongoing enthusiasm and the expectation that it could.

So yeah, when I released this pattern?

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/cathy-lewis-tall-tree-designs

Not too many people cared.

But when I released this pattern:

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/cathy-lewis-tall-tree-designs



People loved it.

So here it is.

Purl of Wisdom # 1

No matter how many times you fail, the possibility of success continues to exist.  Every failure brings you one step closer to it. Don't focus on the times it didn't work.  Live your life like every endeavour has an equal chance to be the success you want it to be.

And just  keep trying.



No comments:

Post a Comment