Tuesday 28 June 2016

Sometimes It Just Works

Designing knitwear is a funny business.  I got started because of a Facebook Design Challenge and I enjoyed it so much that I just wanted to create more.

When I started Francoise Danoy's challenge, I had an image in my head of what I wanted to knit.  But as I worked through the steps of her process, it changed completely.  My results were a little mixed.  I liked what I had designed and thoroughly loved the process.  But I didn't LOVE the finished result.  Her process began with finding a source of inspiration and creating a mood board.  Next step, selecting stitch patterns that came from that inspiration.  It was interesting and surprising.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/silver-birch-summer-wrap


For my next project, I approached things a little differently.  I found inspiration from the stitch patterns themselves and worked to create harmonious combinations in colours that I liked.  I decided that I liked working this way better and I liked my finished project more.

Now I had two finished patterns and I was itching to put them out in the World.  (Remember, I need a lot of approval and the dog couldn't be less interested in my knitting).  But I had read a lot of good advice from people in the design challenge who suggested that it was best to have a few patterns to offer before  opening a store.  So I decided I needed one more before I launched.

I didn't really have a firm idea for my next pattern so I looked at my yarn stash.  As I sorted through my yarn, I came across two skeins of yarn that I had bought in a bit of a frenzy at a knitting party at Northbound Knitting, a fantastic local indie dyer that I love.  I had purchased three skeins of a colourway that combined rich indigo with sunny yellow and cream.  Yum.  But when I got home, I realized that one of the skeins was a heavier weight than the other two and so wouldn't work for my original plans for it.  In that same frenzy, I bought another skein in the heavier weight (also by mistake) that was a subtle blend of pale yellow and light gray. Because I tend to use fingering weight most of the time, I decided that I needed to find a way to make these two oddballs play together.




I knew that I wanted to offer this next pattern for free because I hoped that it would help to generate some attention.  So I wanted to keep it really simple.  I cast on for an asymetrical triangle shawl.  An easy and popular shape that I happen to really like.  I knit six rows in garter stitch with the yellow.  Pretty.  But the blue combo was a much more dramatic, variegated yarn.  I really liked the way the drop stitch pattern on my first shawl showed off the variegated yarn and I think most knitters will agree that they are tricky to work with.  They look beautiful on the skein, but don't always knit up in the most attractive way.  So I did a simple drop stitch section with the blue.  Gorgeous!  I knit another yellow stripe.  Then another blue.  I was liking it, but I wondered if it was too simple?

But then I remembered that it was going to be free, so I just kept alternating the stripes until I ran out of yarn and then I cast off and wrote it up. It reminded me of Van Gogh's painting, "Starry Night."  So I called it the Van Gogh Shawl.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-van-gogh-shawl


Want to guess which pattern went crazy?  Yup.  The Van Gogh Shawl.  It was the pattern that wrote itself.  I loved every stage of this process.  It grew from materials that I loved.  From this experience, I gleaned three more "Purls of Wisdom."




  • Use the good yarn
  • Choose stitches that highlight the good yarn
  •  Keep it simple

And that's the process I follow now.  It led to The Monet Boomerang, which is enjoying some modest success. 

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-monet-boomerang


And, as promised, here is a sneak peek at my newest design, The Degas Ballet Shawl.



It's still on the needles, but I am loving the way it is coming together and I'm looking forward to sharing the finished product with you soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment